Monday, August 11, 2008

odds and ends

We're home from vacation and pictures should be soon to come. We had a blast. We stayed in Buxton, NC, which is the home of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. The beach right by the lighthouse is the best beach for kids in the Outer Banks - and for adults for that matter too. It is so shallow and clear water and a long way out before you hit the drop off. The boys absolutely had the time of their lives, and we are all feeling a bit out of sorts and depressed to be back home. That is really saying something since we can tend to be homebodies!

I am literally out of sorts, as the sleeping in strange beds and the 16 hour drive, continually twisting in my seat to provide drinks, activities, etc. put my neck out. Yesterday and today have been a haze of pain. Thank God for painkillers and chiropractic care... here's a bit of my interaction with the massage therapist:
me: "I am starting to breathe through this like I'm in labor"
her: "yeah, unfortunately that's kind of what this will be like for you"

Sometimes they can be almost too good at finding all of the ways in which my back is knotted up like an afghan...

A couple of random items:

- Why on earth do the women of the USA Olympic Volleyball team have to wear such skimpy bottoms? I mean, do they really serve any purpose? I was seriously grossed out with a couple of the camera angles... what in the world is that all about?

- My Ian has a surprising knowledge of animal bodies lately. We got fish on vacation one night for dinner (grilled Mahi Mahi to be exact) and he was asking some questions about where the meat came from. I was trying to give a nice simple gentle explanation, but instead he says, "they chop off the fish's eyes and mouth don't they mommy, and then they drain out all it's blood and take out all it's bones don't they, and then we eat what is left." So much for gentle. By the way, he gobbled it up and asked for seconds. Fully understands, fully enjoys the meat. Then today
I got a detailed and highly imaginative explanation of each of his beanie's eating habits and subsequent pooping habits. Lovely.

1 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

HA! Ian cracks me up! What a little smartie! I'm glad you guys had a great vacation! But, I'm also glad you're back! :-) You've been missed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home