Monday, June 02, 2008

Day Three

We're getting somewhere now... today only a couple of very minor accidents. Sometimes I am taking him, sometimes he recognizes his own need and goes on his own. Waking up from naps and overnight dry many times. He's definitely more interested in keeping Buzz Lightyear dry than he is in keeping Spiderman dry. Go figure. His first foray into independence from Ian. :-)

A few observations before I let this potty topic die (yes, I will actually eventually do so). (I just know that when I started this whole potty training thing with Ian I was desperate for ideas/answers/support and I am posting all this because I hope that some other parent somewhere will eventually benefit from it! And because the grandparents like updates. And because it is therapeutic for me. :-)

- A great book esp. for boys: The Potty Train by David Hochman

- A CD that helped keep things fun: Miss Joanie's Potty Party by Joanie Whittaker (though I must say, avoid song #4! - about bad monkeys putting things in the potty - what in the world were they thinking?!? The rest of it was cute.)

-This time it ended up being a Potty Party Weekend, rather than all in one day. I think that worked out the best for us, maybe because Caleb is committed to his naps, and day one just didn't give enough practice.

-The whole flushing with fun drinks thing was a little rough. The sugar in the Kool Aid seemed to really make him go an unreasonable amount. Today was much easier because we went back to our norm for fluid intake and that helped us both gauge how often he really needs to go.

-Potty training in the summer beats potty training in the winter hands down. We just play outside a lot, and it's very easy to stay relaxed when accidents aren't affecting carpets or furniture. Plus, way fewer clothes to worry about keeping clean. Every person in the neighborhood has probably seen my child's undies by now, but honestly, who cares. He is so stinkin' cute in them anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home