Tuesday, September 09, 2008

100th post

Woo hoo - I've blabbed online 100 times. That is kind of hard to believe. I feel like I'm never on here. But presently I have a new workspace (IKEA rocks) and I am enjoying getting things done in it!

We started preschool this morning. My class of 10 has 8 boys. Previously it's always been 2 or 3 boys and the rest girls. Maybe I am destined to be surrounded by boys. It sure is fun. There is never lacking in the areas of adventure, fun, noise, and general wildness. Did I mention noise? I think I am preemptively taking Tylenol before I go in next Tuesday (this week is our open house time, next week the parents will actually drop these little men off and entrust them to us.) I may even employ the use of my magical orange earplugs. Just kidding. I think.

So, since I mentioned IKEA, I might as well give you the rundown for those who've never been. It was unlike any store I've ever been in. My husband couldn't stand it. It is a store for people who enjoy shopping - also smart shoppers - you have to be pretty on your game and self-sufficient in there because there is SO MUCH to see and it's mostly all self serve. We were there for four hours. (Matt's idea of fun shopping is a bit different - he'd prefer less maze, fewer people, and about 3.5 hours less. But he was a trooper. I felt loved.) We started in the very inexpensive and kid friendly restaurant. Then Matt and the boys trailed along with me looking at things for as long as they were having fun - which was about an hour maybe. Then they went to get balloons made by the clown on stilts and went to the car and fell asleep. I ended up with pretty much everything I needed for the workspace I have been wanting to set up, for less than $400. I have a new desk, chair, filing cabinet, accessories, lighting, and a couple of random cutting boards for that amount. Great prices! I also found it was pleasantly geared toward women. I was able to get all the boxes off the shelves on my own (smart packaging) and set everything up on my own as well once we got it home. Tips for other families (I had a friend who gave me some of these and I found it very helpful):

- go online ahead of time and get an idea of what you're after.
- eat first. you need to start out energized!
- it helped me to focus on one room at a time. I saw a ton of things that gave me ideas for other rooms, but was able to keep from being overwhelmed by just sticking with the one room. Maybe that's because I had so much I needed to get for that one room though.
- if you have kids, take them with you through the showrooms for a while, then utilize the kidspace because you can only drop them off for a limited time (we didn't do this, but I could see how it would be the only way if there wasn't a second adult to care for the kids) Then they might have some reserve left for you to finish up your shopping and get through the line.
- follow the arrows.
- write down the item numbers and info on everything you like and take the papers with each display you like - you may never find it again! And you can go online and order some things later.

Hope this helps someone, I personally can't wait to go back.

5 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I was just thinking I hated IKEA enough that it might give me the last little bit of motivation I needed to start my own blog just so I could write about it. IKEA is exactly the sort of store that makes shopping online so much more reasonable. They literally only have one way out which requires you to go through their whole 2 floors of jam-packed rat-maze showrooms. The entrance elevator and escalator only go one way, all the doors say they are emergency exists with fire alarms, and there are no reasonable shortcuts. If you're in the store, they have you prisoner.

I like what Beth purchased, but if it were my purchasing choice, this is the kind of store I would have refused to buy from just on principal, and paid more elsewhere. Or, we could have bought from ikea.com traded the 4 hours for the extra cost of shipping.

I'm glad you liked it honey. You are free to go back to the consumerism ghetto anytime you wish. I'll spend a lovely weekend with the boys while you try to find the cheese at the end of the store :-)

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger truist said...

Yeah, wow - that just curbed my enthusiasm for a trip to Ikea...

But maybe it will be rekindled once we see what you got :)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger ftmomma said...

Gee Babe. Don't bother sugar coating it. Just tell me how you really feel. Yikes!

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! Good thing your friend gave you some shopping tips, Daughter. You know your father and I are not shoppers, therefore thank you for the heads-up about this store, BOTH of you! We will not go. Although I might have to check them out, online...
Can't wait to see your new purchases.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Kelle said...

Wow! To think some people don't like IKEA?! Bunch of crazies!! When I lived in civilization my friends and I would go to IKEA just to have a playdate. Then, sometimes, I'd go to shop. It was practically heaven on Earth!

Next time I'm blessed with a free weekend, let's you and me go to IKEA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home