Wednesday, May 23, 2007

precious moments

At lunch today, I was washing some celery off. Ian asked why was I "tearing that salad", and I told him mommy needs to eat her fruits and veggies too. He said, "yeah, because you're our special mommy, and we need to make sure you're taken care of." Then he thought for a moment and said with the most sincere little face, "thank you for being my mommy". I can't really put words to how that made me feel. Parenting can be so frustrating and stressful sometimes, but in other moments I experience unprecedented love, peace, joy, simplicity... yeah. I really can't put it to words.

Then at bedtime Ian said a prayer for mommy's throat, (I have laryngitis), then thought a few minutes and asked, "mommy what does Jesus' name mean?"

I would love to hear what anyone else's answer to that question from a three-year-old would be.

5 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger mattmc3 said...

When he asked me that question when I got home, I thought he asked me what does "in Jesus' name" mean, as in the closing to our nightly prayer before we say Amen. Did he mean that, or just Jesus' name in general?

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Sarah Sears Webel said...

I look forward to enjoying a moment like you describe here - hopefully erasing the zoo-like moments ;)

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger ftmomma said...

Matt, I'm not sure which he meant. I took it as "what is Jesus' name?" That's why I started my explanation with saying Jesus' name is Jesus. Then I explained what it means to me. I doubt he understood much of that!

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the sweetest thing I think I've ever read!!

About Ian's comment, since he's so literal I assume he would mean what Matt said, "in Jesus' name" which he hears you say all the time. He might think it's one word, as "Jesusname".
Love, Mom

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great question, Ian ... I've never thought about why I say "in Jesus' name" when I pray sometimes. Where does that come from?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home